For more than 20 years, Customer Marketing Group (CMG) has helped leading and emerging consumer packaged goods brands maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of their retail customer investments.
How do we do it? A dedicated team with extraordinary academic qualifications, analytical firepower, and real world industry experience fully focuses its expertise on the complex job of optimizing all retailer related activity and spending.
Job Description – Intern
Reports to Trade Fund Manager
As an Intern with CMG your work is centered in contributing, recreating, and learning by working with managers on specific tasks. This position is an apprentice role where you continuously absorb information and perform directed steps to complete tasks. Many times you will be asked to “do as I do” by being given explicit instructions or by performing steps in tandem with a more senior position. With additional exposure and experience and repeated exposure, more freedom and independence is expected. The formal training component of the program begins with an industry overview and case studies and concludes with a self-directed project or working on a client project with your manager. Your learning and development is a shared responsibility between you and your manager.
- Bachelor’s degree or candidate in a STEM field; Master’s & PhD candidates preferred
- Excellent verbal, written and oral communication skills
- Being comfortable in a collaborative team environment
- Strong, dedicated, and dependable work ethic
- An inquisitive attitude
- An intrinsic motivation
- Fast learner who is detail oriented, analytical, and enjoys problem solving
- Ability to learn and adapt from previous experiences including mistakes
- Ownership and pride in quality output
- Ability understand and follow direction
- Adaptability and patience as new and changing workload and
- information becomes available
- Basic proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint
- Asking questions and having a drive for continuous learning including technical and business related topics
- Assisting your manager with a variety of day to day tasks
- Clearly communicating timing and availability to your manager
- Further expanding your proficiency in Excel and R
- Gain an understanding of CPG industry terms, definitions, and relationships
- Understanding the use of databases such as:
- Pulling data
- Products and Accounts
- Cleaning, coding, and validating data
- Learning standard CPG/CMG methodologies and processes by duplicating case study training analyses which include:
- Promotional performance
- Promotional ROIs and effects to the P&L
- Everyday pricing impacts
- Distribution and distribution opportunity
- Time series and basic delta analyses
- Volumetric and financial pricing
- Populating data used for reporting and tracking
- Preparing and presenting (to an internal group) a document that demonstrates what you have learned from data pulls and store visits
- Assisting your manager with internal projects
- Assisting in answering client retail or manufacturer questions of the day.
- Examples of topics include: New item incrementality and projections, competitive activity, out of stock estimates, impacts of package changes, and source of volume analysis, etc.
- Learning by observation
- Contributing in a “results oriented work environment”
- Demonstrating CMG’s core competencies on a daily basis
- Specific Job Duties include:
- Consumption data management including database queries, data cleaning, and reconciliation.
- Evaluation of retail data to estimate promotional impact of price discounts, execution and impact to profit.
- Retail everyday pricing impacts by identifying elasticities, thresholds and the impact to volume and profit.
- Analyze retail product distribution data for voids, opportunities, and velocity trends.
- Produce manufacturer and retail P&L scenarios for various retail executions or strategy changes around pricing, promotion, and distribution.
- Modeling the retail variables such as price or competitive impacts with R.
Monthly reporting & Account Planning assistance by pulling database queries and updating reports.
- Visiting local stores to complete a training exercise about CPG terms and database measures.
- Preparing and presenting a document that demonstrates what you have learned from data pulls and store visits
- Little to no travel will be required for this position
To Apply: Please email your resume and a copy of your unofficial transcript and GRE scores to email@example.com. Include ‘Analyst Intern’ in the email’s subject line.